OYA, COME AND LEARN YORUBA PHRASES (FOR BEGINNERS). CLASS 1.

So I have gotten a lot of mails and messages from readers who finds it difficult to read Yoruba. So as a patriotic Yoruba boy that I am, lol, I came up with this.  Kindly drop a comment if it helped you so as to know where to pick the next class up from.


(Greeting)
Hi! Bawo
Good morning! Ek’aro
Good afternoon! Ek’asan
Good evening! Ek’ale
Welcome! (to greet someone) Ek’abo
Hello my friend! Bawoni Oremi
How are you? (friendly) Bawo lowa
How are you? (polite) Bawo lara
I’m fine, thank you! Mowa dada, Ese
And you? (friendly) Iwo na nko
And you? (polite) Iwo nko
Good Oda
Not so good Kofibe da
Long time no see Ope ti mo ti rie
I missed you Mos’aro e
What’s new? Kini tuntun
Nothing new Kosi tuntun
Thank you (very much)! Ese gan
You’re welcome! (for “thank you”) Ko t’ope
My pleasure Inu midun
Come in! (or: enter!) Wole wa
Make yourself at home! Ef’okan bale,Ile lewa
(Farewell Expressions)
Have a nice day! Od’igba
Good night! Od’aro
Good night and sweet dreams! od’aro kosi la ala to da
See you later! mari e ni’gba mi
See you soon! mari e laipe
See you tomorrow! mari e lola
Good bye! Od’abo
Have a good trip! Irin ajo ada o
I have to go Moni lati malo
I will be right back! Mon padabo
(Holidays and Wishes)
Good luck! Pade orire
Happy birthday! Eku ojo ibi
Happy new year! Eku odun tuntun
Merry Christmas! Eku odun keresimesi
Ei del kabir Eku odun Ileya
Independence day Eku odun ojo ominira
Congratulations! Eku ori ire
Enjoy! (or: bon appetit) Igba dun
Bless you (when sneezing) Epele
Best wishes! Nko rere fun e
Cheers! (or: to your health) Eku araya
Accept my best wishes Gba nkan rere timo fefun e.

 (How to Introduce Yourself)
What’s your name? Kini oruko e?
My name is (John Doe) Oruko mi ni (john Doe)
Nice to meet you! Inumidun lati ri e
Where are you from? Ilu wo loti wa?
I’m from (the U.S/ Nigeria) Mowa lati ilu (America/nigeria)
I’m (American/ Nigerian) Omo (America/Nigeria) nimi
Where do you live? Ibo l’ongbe?
I live in (the U.S/ Nigeria) Mongbe ni(America/ nigeria)
Do you like it here? S’o feran ibi?
Nigeria is a beautiful country Orile ede to rewa ni nigeria
What do you do for a living? Ise wo lonse?
I’m a (teacher/ student/ engineer) (Oluko/akeko/ onimo ero) ni mi
Do you speak (English/ Yoruba)? S’ole so ede(geesi/ yoruba)?
Just a little Mole so die
I like Yoruba Moferan yoruba
I’m trying to learn Yoruba Mongbiyanju lati ko ede yoruba
It’s a hard language Ede t’ole ni
It’s an easy language Ede ti kole ni
Oh! That’s good! hehen, Iyen da
Can I practice with you? se mole ko pelu e?
I will try my best to learn Mase iwon ti mole se lati ko
How old are you? Omo odun melo ni e?
I’m (twenty one, thirty two) years old Omo (ogun odun lekan,ogun odun lemeji) ni mi
It was nice talking to you! Mogbadun bi mose nba e soro
It was nice meeting you! mogbadun bi mose pade e
Mr…/ Mrs. …/ Miss… Ogbeni…/ Iya afin…/ Omidan….
This is my wife Iyawo mi niyi
This is my husband Oko mi niyi
Say hi to Thomas for me Bami ki Thomas.


Culled from  africanspiritualitynow.wordpress.com

Comments